News

National Cyber Commission Unveils 6 Imperatives to Secure Digital Economy

Relevant links are at the bottom of this post. The Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity has released a report that outlines six imperatives to ensure security of the digital economy. The commission said in the report published Thursday that the government and industry should work together to defend and safeguard digital networks and the information infrastructure, as well as […]

Continue Reading

HOW AUTOMATION CAN UNLEASH GOVERNMENT IT INNOVATION

Relevant links are at the bottom of this post. David Egts is chief technologist at Red Hat U.S. Public Sector. It’s been said 80 percent an organization’s budget is spent “keeping the lights on” with ongoing operations and maintenance. That leaves only 20 percent left over for innovation. Based on conversations I’ve had with government agency leaders, this […]

Continue Reading

AWS Earns Department of Defense Impact Level 4 Provisional Authorization

Relevant links are at the bottom of this post. I am pleased to share that, for our AWS GovCloud (US) Region, AWS has received a Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Provisional Authorization (PA) at Impact Level 4 (IL4). This will allow Department of Defense (DoD) agencies to use the AWS Cloud for production workloads with export-controlled data, privacy […]

Continue Reading

Mary Meeker’s 2016 internet trends report: All the slides, plus analysis

Relevant links are at the bottom of this post. Yes, it is a slide deck, but it’s also one of the most eagerly anticipated collections of facts in Silicon Valley. Mary Meeker is ready with her 2016 internet trends report, which she is delivering today at this year’s Code Conference. At 213 pages, there’s a ton […]

Continue Reading

Mastering containers with OpenStack: a white paper

Relevant links are at the bottom of this post. Suddenly, everyone is getting their head around containers. One recent survey projects that 69 percent of companies will embrace them in the next year for production environments. To better understand why containers are gaining so much mindshare, OpenStack just published a paper you can download titled “Exploring Opportunities: Containers […]

Continue Reading

Containers + Private Cloud. Google Sponsors OpenStack Foundation

Relevant links are at the bottom of this post. Today Google is becoming a sponsor of the OpenStack Foundation, an industry effort dedicated to creating an open infrastructure-as-a-service stack for enterprises.  We’re excited to add our expertise in container-oriented computing to one of the most widely-adopted private cloud stacks, while improving interoperability between private and […]

Continue Reading

HOW DOCKER HELPS MAKE APPS THAT WORK EVERYWHERE

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/solomon-hykes/ You probably have a Google search engine running on your phone. But it doesn’t just run on your phone. It works so well for you—and for millions of others—because it’s really running on thousands of machines in data centers across the globe. The same goes for Facebook and Amazon and, well, all of the Internet’s […]

Continue Reading

7 keys to a successful innovation office

What: A new IBM Center for the Business of Government report on “making innovation offices work.” Why: As the authors accurately note, “innovation is the buzzword of 21st century government, often cited as a silver bullet for everything from creating greater efficiencies … to changing the way government does business.” Yet while governments at all levels are […]

Continue Reading

IT crisis looming: ‘What if AWS goes pop, runs out of cash?’

Canalys Channels Forum 2014 The big public infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) players may be on the brink of a crisis as cataclysmic as the 2008 banking crash, as they slash prices while spending billions on building out and staffing their operations. Or so claimed Steve Brazier, CEO at channel beanie Canalys, who warned resellers steering their customers […]

Continue Reading